Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Olympus Has Fallen

I went to watch this flick with my class homies Eugene, Elina, and Lesley last night and the movie was so "fuggin' awesome", to quote another classmate, Faisal.

The entire movie was intense and you just know that I had to cover my mouth for almost the whole thing because I kept gasping out loud.

Afterwards Lesley declared I was the most excitable person with whom she's ever watched a movie.

The movie depicts a former Secret Service agent Mike Banning (Gerard Butler ♥) being the only person able to infiltrate the White House after a terrorist takes the President hostage inside it.

It's up to Agent Banning to save the the world, literally. If the United States were to be nuked by their own nukes, the economy would be thrown into chaos, affecting every other nation on this planet. Big picture, huh?

What's great about this movie isn't the plot itself. As storylines go, this one is pretty predictable: President gets held hostage by terrorists, a lone anti-hero suddenly has greatness thrust upon him and saves the day.

Even so, the witty quips of Agent Banning plus the badass action sequences more than make up for it. The acting is just superb: Gerard Butler comes off effortlessly as a bored former agent chained to his desk job; Morgan freaking Freeman becomes the coolest Acting President ever after Aaron Eckhart (the perpetual amiable public figure in film) is taken hostage; even the actress playing Banning's girlfriend emoted the role really well.

How can this movie not be awesome when God himself (Morgan Freeman AKA everyone's favorite narrator ever) is in it? One also gets to see King Leonida busting his ass off to save Two-Face - now there's a sight. (If you don't know who either of those are, please review your priorities in life and watch more good movies.)

Also, the baddie here is portrayed by Rick Yune, over whom I was mulling my brain throughout the movie - where had I seen him before? A quick IMDB search now reveals he was that hot protagonist in The Man With The Iron Fist. Another ♥ for Olympus!

His character is pretty two-dimensional: evil, misguided, determined to do big things or die trying. Luckily he had his dashing good looks going for him or else he'd be a pretty draggy villain.

I almost snagged an Olympus poster after we exited from the theater as the staff were taking down posters from their frames and rearranging them. Eugene kept urging me to steal one and after I picked one up, one of the staff came over casually, saying, "Ma'am, cannot take."

Aw shucks. Would have been humiliating had I not been gorging on leftover popcorn. It seems like I shed all dignity whenever I'm eating something.

No comments:

Post a Comment