Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Finally, the dream

For the past week I've been hearing my relatives regale everyone with their stories of dreams about my mom, and it did show a sequence that was kind of mystical and hilarious.

First my dad dreamt of her. Second was my aunt - my mom's younger sister. Then my uncle's wife and his mother-in-law did. We all live in Potong Pasir. After that was my cousin Eileen, who lived in Sengkang. So I joked that my mom was making her rounds, and next would be my cousin Joey who lived in Jurong. But it's been a few days since that joke and Joey hasn't said anything so I figure she didn't dream of her.

And now my mom's back in Potong Pasir I guess, 'cause I dreamt of her this morning.

In the dream, she was just there. Healthy-looking, smiling, adorable like she was. Is. I don't know. All I know is that I was a little bewildered, yet ecstatic to find that she didn't die after all.

I brought her to my room to show her my newly-organized closet, but then hit a dilemma: I'd separated my clothes into two halves. One half was colored clothing that I couldn't wear for 100 days while the other half were blacks/whites/grays/blues that I could wear. But I couldn't very well tell her why I sorted them that way, because there she was, very much alive! I remember feeling conflicted about it.

Then she proceeded to point to some picture or card that I can't remember anything about, and there were three numbers, 02 04 06 or something like that. I keep recalling that 03 was involved. Afterwards she pulled me into the living room to look at another picture/card and it had four numbers on it, like 4D. But now I can't remember anything.

After a short while, my mom left, and my dad came into my room. I told him Mom came back, and he wore a confused expression. "That wasn't your mom, that was our neighbor auntie who came to visit!"

Imagine my dreamworld crumbling. (Not literally like in Inception, but metaphorically like "my world crumbled".) I got flashbacks of my mom in the dream, just moments ago, and in each flashback she morphed into my neighbor. So it had been a lie. My mom wasn't alive again.

Still, I'm glad I had a dream about her because I was afraid I'd forget her face. In the dream she had been silent, possibly because I've already half-forgotten how her voice sounded like. Or maybe, if I wanted to make sense of the dream, she didn't make a sound because she was an imposter! Speaking would have given her away since she was actually my neighbor.

I am so confused but content.

P.S. Please ignore sentence structure and grammatical errors and overall vocabulary. I'm just writing this all down for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment