Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Driver's License

I remember back in primary school I told myself that I would never learn to drive. Sure, it was convenient, but was it worth putting my life in my own hands? Naaaah.

Then in secondary school I began liking motorcycles. I admit, I was probably brainwashed by glamorous Hollywood magazines and also, there was a teen chick book I had read about motocross racing. Naturally my friend and I declared that when we turned 18 we would register for motorcycle classes immediately and be perpetual badasses.


However, when I told my mom about my plan to be the coolest female biker ever [in Singapore], she went ballistic and has been showing me newspaper clippings and reports of motorcycle accidents ever since. Being the rebel that I was, I brushed her comments off like lint and inwardly panicked.

"Oh no, I don't want to fly off my motorbike and not survive!"

Therefore I decided to forsake the idea. Or at least postpone it, since I was broke anyway.

It wasn't until recently that I converted my decision into learning how to drive a car. My friend had just gotten her license and we always felt oh so cool when she drove us around late at night, lost on expressways and getting home much, much, much later than usual.

I wanted to be the one getting us lost. It just seemed like So! Much! Fun!

Still, my state of perpetual bankruptcy prevented me from pursuing this dream of mine...Until I started school again after three years of stagnant retail hours and switched to an office job at my uncle's. He offered to sponsor my driver's license fees.

Waking up every morning at 7am (fine, it's more like 7:20am, you happy?) is no joke, but I persevered, waiting for the day my uncle brought up the driving matter again.

And yesterday I hit jackpot.

After lunch, he told me to come down to his office and at once I felt doomed. Had he caught me going on Facebook/Blogger/Tumblr/Twitter/any site to beat the boredom of work?

But he gave me the best news I've heard all week (considering it's only Tuesday now, this statement rings very true): I was to go to the driving center nearby our workplace and start lessons ASAP!

So I headed there, and the guy at the counter was just so nice. He must deal with the likes of me a lot: eager, nervous, stammering and hopeful. Anyway, he booked my test date for me and I'm having the Basic Theory Test in October!

That's less than a month away, so any comments on whether I'm screwed or not are welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment